Thursday, March 21, 2013

Fun in the Snow





With this week being my birthday, we decided to have a special family outing last Saturday.  I had heard from a co-worker about a ski resort in Tahoe that a had nice area for kids to learn how to ski.  Eve and I have never been skiing together, and we have never seriously entertained the idea while going especially with kids, because of the huge expense of renting equipment and buying tickets just to spend the whole time with the kids on the small hills.  But at Soda Springs in Tahoe there is a kids area with really small bunny hills and a parent gets in with a child and equipment for a child for less than a typical lift ticket.  I knew I wanted the kids to learn to ski while they are young and I really hoped that they would give skiing a chance and not wimp out.

The kids were excited about going to where there was snow, but I don't think they quite understood the concept of what skiing was.  In fact, Cameron insisted he did not want to ski but wanted to only do tubing and play in the snow.  Fortunately, though, once they got their skis on and tried it out, they really liked it.  And it was surprising how exciting it was for me to see them pick up on the basics and get to the point that they could ski down the small hills without falling.  Even Landon (3 yrs old!) would earnestly heed my directions to squat and lean forward to keep his balance as he glided straight down the hill (and sometimes into the snowbank or other people...).  As a bonus, Cameron and Haylee also rode mini snowmobiles around a circle track.

Since Eve and I were helping the kids, we never actually put on skis ourselves, but it was great fun to see Haylee, Cameron, and Landon get so excited about a new sport.  I look forward to teaching Eve how to ski and for our whole family to traverse the slopes together in years to come.

No comments: