Monday, February 24, 2014

Soda Springs Skiing





For the second year in a row, we took a family trip to Soda Springs for a day of skiing.  For those who are not familiar with this gem, Soda Springs is a small resort designed as a place for families to come to learn to ski at a more affordable place than the typical ski resort.  It's near Tahoe, short past the Nevada border when heading towards Reno on I-80 east from California.  Being only 2.5 hours from Concord, it makes for a nice day trip for us.

Last March when we first went to Soda Springs, we spent the whole time in Planet Kids, where only kids can ski on super small hills for really cheap while their parents can help and teach them.  This year while Eve took Landon to Planet Kids, I donned skis myself for the first time in about 12 years and took Cameron and Haylee up onto the ski lift to do skiing on some real hills.  After spending a couple hours with them at the beginning of the day, I put them in a lesson so they could also learn from a real skier.  Then after their lesson Cameron and I went up the lifts some more and explored some other hills while Haylee stayed near the lodge and practiced on some small hills at the base of the lift.  Since it took Cameron and I over an hour to find our way back to check up on Haylee, she ended up "getting lost" and getting a bunch of the resort employees out looking to reunite her with her father… 

Anyways, we had a superb day!  There is nothing like being out on the slopes amidst the snow, trees, and mountains.  This is something we will definitely make at the least a yearly family tradition.

Here is a link to my YouTube channel, where you can check out are some videos of Cameron and Haylee skiing I took while skiing alongside them.  Notice how Cameron's "go fast and fall a lot" technique contrasts with Haylee's "go slow and steady" technique! 


No comments: