Saturday, March 30, 2019

40th Birthday





Wow, I'm not sure how, but finally it came.  The big 4-0 b-day.  Terryl and I decided last year that when we hit our 40th birthday, we wanted to celebrate getting old by doing something to make us feel young.  So we decided to plan a ski trip where I would visit him in Syracuse UT and hang out with him and his family in golden ski country over the weekend from March 16 - 18.

I wish I could have taken my entire family.  It was fantastic seeing Terryl and Stefanie and their kids, Caleb and Maddie.  I got to see Maddie do a belt contest for her karate class, see a movie with Terryl and Maddie (The Lego Movie 2), play Head Banz with their whole family, and more fun.  As seen in the garage door picture, Stefanie went all out getting signs that would help us feel so good about getting over-the-hill.  Sunday we had a special dinner where Stefanie's mom, sister, and brother-in-law came over to eat and visit with us.  It was also a lot of fun going to Terryl's church on Sunday and seeing many friends of his get confused when they saw us both, much like when Terryl has visited my ward in California.

Monday Terryl and I hit the slopes.  Just a half hour away, we caught up on tunes we each had collected while driving to and from the ski resort at Snow Basin.  Terryl had been skiing a lot the last two seasons, and I only get on the slopes about once a year, so he had a lot runs he wanted to show me and take me on.  He's become a bit more accomplished than me at skiing, so he did a lot of waiting as I found my ski legs on the mostly blue runs we went on.  This was the only time we had ever gone skiing just the two of us together.  We had a blast.  When we were just about to leave the parking lot of the ski resort, I realized I didn't have my cell phone.  We went to the lost and found and miraculously someone had found it out on the slopes.  The lady at the counter said it was real cold when it was turned in.  After such a lucky break, it was sad I ended up getting a new phone just now about a week later (for unrelated reasons... it was finally time to retire the iPhone 5 so I could have an iOS updated enough to run the apps I needed for Disney World...).

We will have to start planning our sky diving trip for when we turn 50... :)

No comments: