Saturday, February 14, 2009

Coraline in 3-D


Yesterday at work they screened Coraline, a new stop motion animation from the director of "The Nightmare Before Christmas", Henry Selick. And they screened it in 3-D. Normally I don't get too excited about seeing movies in 3-D, but I thought it was very well done in Coraline. Since it is stop motion, the models and objects used in the movie are real, and there are some really beautiful sets. In some shots I felt like the the screen was a window through which I was looking into a real 3-D world beyond the screen. It was really neat. And the movie has an interesting, charming story. But it is a little dark and scary at times, and so it's not a children's movie. Henry Selick himself came to Pixar and did a Q & A after the screening.

And I heard it's playing in 3-D theatres for only two more weeks, so I highly recommend finding the closest 3-D theatre to where you live and watching it. And it's even more amazing when you think about the work involved in making a stop motion film, having to pose every object frame by frame. Wow, I was impressed!

No comments: