Sunday, June 14, 2009

Half Dome Hike at Yosemite


I just got back last night from a 3-day guy's trip to Yosemite National Park, about 3 hours east of Concord. I don't think I've ever been to such a beautiful part of the world! A friend in my ward invited me to go with him and a group of his buddies that are in a neighboring ward. There were 8 of us, and the main event of the trip was the hike up Half Dome on Friday. This 16 mile long, 4800 ft-change-in-elevation hike is the most famous Yosemite hike, mostly because of its wonderful views and for the cables lining the last 500 ft of the hike, needed in order to be able to advance up the 45 - 60 degree grade slope. We started at 6:30 am and arrived back to camp at about 8:30 pm. It was probably the greatest outdoor experience of my life, as well one of the most physically challenging ones (at least for a novice hiker like me). It's hard to describe what made the hike so cool, so hear are some pictures to help:

http://picasaweb.google.com/trent.crow/YosemiteHalfdome2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCNyYkcOunLrRdA&feat=directlink

The scenery was unmatched. And it was a truly scary experience hiking up the final stairs and the slope up the cables to the very top of the summit. One that I'll never forget but what made reaching the top so satisfying.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: