Sunday, April 5, 2009

Enjoying General Conference



I hope everyone has had a very enjoyable General Conference weekend; ours has been pretty great, and I wanted to share some of the reasons that has made it enjoyable for us. I have to admit that during the last few years I've struggled with conference in a couple of different ways. Since we like watching at home, it's often hard to not get too casual with watching it (kids running around, finishing meals during the talks, falling asleep, etc.), yet I really enjoy being able to watch it in a personal, home setting. In this March's issue of the Ensign, there is an article about different ways members enjoy conference and things they do to make it more enjoyable and special for the whole family. I was really excited about some of the ideas and decided to try a few with my family.

First, we took the General Authorities insert from the last conference issue of the Ensign and posted it by our monitor so the kids could easily see it. Then whenever someone spoke, we asked them to find him on the sheet and put a star by his picture. This was Haylee and Cameron's favorite part about conference and it helped keep them interested in it. Also, we had a picnic lunch on a blanket in front of our monitor as we watched one of the sessions. We also made special treats, like ice cream and cheese fondue, in between some of the sessions. Finally we gave everyone a notebook to write notes on, though in the case of the kids they obviously colored and scribbled on theirs. I focused my notes on getting some quiz questions and answers that I'm going to use for a conference quiz game we're going to play tomorrow night for Family Home Evening.

Besides helping the kids to be more in line and attentive to conference, doing some of these things helped me to better focus on the talks, get more out of them, and just enjoy conference more than normal. So from now on we hope to make General Conference more of a special event in our family that we can always look forward to and enjoy together.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: